Thursday, December 2, 2010

Motley Crew 12x16 Oil on Canvas

"Motley Crew" 12x16  Oil on Canvas  $250

Things are finally starting to flow for me.  This all still takes a lot of work, but I feel like I have finally learned how to paint.  I cannot say enough about the MFA program at AAU.  It has been a ton of work, and I spent all summer trying to hone my skills further, but the professors I have had so far have been just fantastic.  I've now gotten to the point where I feel like I can paint what I see, I just have to take the time and go slowly.  Things fall apart sometimes, but usually only when I am rushed or tired or can't focus.

I'm still amazed at how much focus it takes to paint.  None of the professors I have had so far just slap paint onto a canvas.  It is a handy illusion that a lot of people seem to think about us (along with the bohemian chic "you don't need money" image that I hate - it's a business people!).  But all of the really good painters I've met, spend hours analyzing what they are seeing.  You have to look at every highlight, every nuance, and then compare it to every other nuance in order to get it to look believable.  And this is all before you even learn how to make it your own - to put your stamp and signature style into it.

Okay, I'm on the cusp of getting slammed with the end of the semester.  Finishing up reworks (you can re-paint things to make your grade higher), and three paintings due in the next two weeks, plus Christmas and all if its craziness!  I'll keep you all posted, and hopefully as the semester winds down in the next couple weeks I can resume the daily paintings that are a bit smaller.  I've been really enjoying those, but just haven't figured out the rhythm and timing to do them in addition to the bigger pieces, schoolwork and travel that has been going on this fall.  Rough life, I know!  (PS - this was also an A-, wohoo!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails