Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Singapore Heritage Shophouse No. 85

"Singapore Heritage Shophouse No. 85"
6x6 Oil on Panel
Click Here to Purchase
I love it when I get a really good cabbie. When you get a good cabbie in Singapore, they are really excellent. They'll not only know exactly where your bank's ATM is, but they'll be able to wax poetically on the answers to life. Last night I had an especially awesome one. He was jovial, happy, and couldn't say enough about the Orchid Show at Marina Bay Sands. He got to see the new Gardens by the Bay, which has been partially opened for the event. He just loved it, said there were so many different beautiful plants in there. It really inspired me. Maybe I can get by before the show closes on Sunday!

The cabbie went on to talk about his life, and how he is also a sculptor. He had this incredible life story, and has studied under almost every famous artist here in Singapore. Unfortunately, economic reality means that he is a cabbie - not doing what he loves the most. But he had this incredible outlook on life. He said that by being an artist, and by developing an artist's eye, you grow to have a different outlook on life. You see the world in brighter colored glasses than the rest of the world, and that is how he is okay with driving a cab to support his family even though he would rather be in the studio. His advise really hit home - if I didn't have such a wonderful patron (my husband) supporting the beginning of my career, life would be very different. But maybe, even with the curveballs life can throw you, now that I see the world through an artist's eyes, it would still be brighter and more beautiful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails