Thursday, February 10, 2011

Dunlop Street, Little India - Daily Painting #22

"Dunlop Street, Little India" 6x6 Oil on Canvas, click here to Purchase
Wow.  This week has been crazy.  Not just kind of crazy, but totally crazy.  This was my first week of actually intensive plein air.  So far I've been out painting for 3 mornings.  The painting above is actually inspired by my plein air misadventures this morning.  I've decided I absolutely LOVE Little India in the early morning.  First of all, the buildings are all these delicious colors, and with the morning light, you can find the most interesting shadows.  Secondly, (this is a bit of a double edged sword) the people are just so friendly.  By the time I was finished painting my painting this morning (not the one above), at some points, I had between 5-10 people gathered around watching me paint.  It was totally nerve-wracking.  But they were all just such lovely people.  Totally respectful and very complimentary - which was awesome, because I definitely did not feel like a master painter.

I have my painting from this morning on another camera card, so I'll post it tomorrow, but this week has been quite the misadventure.  A couple things I have learned:
  1. No matter how well hydrated you want to be, don't drink too much water.  Not many places are open before 10am.
  2. You have to be finished by 10am, but the sun isn't up enough until 7:30 or 8, so work fast.  It is just too hot.  I'd guess it is easily 90+ degrees in full sun by 10am.
  3. Create a checklist of necessary items.  Follow it.  Live by it.  Don't forget anything on it. (I went out one day, lugged everything to the place, realized my carrier wasn't quite big enough.  Which was awful because I had to carry everything on my shoulders.  Then I realized I forgot my painting medium, dirty rag bag, and a snack.  Grumpy Shelby.  Paint was getting gloppy.  Painting was a mess.  Not a good day.)
  4. Don't take yourself too seriously.  This is for learning, not for a gallery.
Okay, that is all.  I'm planning on heading out again tomorrow morning, so I should have a couple of Plein Air pieces to show.  Think I'll hit Little India again.  I'm also thinking about doing 100 shophouses over 100 days.  I'm kind of really enjoying this.  

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails