Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Breakthrough


The past couple of days I haven't felt like I got as many paintings done - I've been shooting for 3 per day. I'm still averaging right around an hour to do one. The largest part of my whole process is just sketching in the shapes. That alone probably takes 20-25 minutes. I've been experimenting with the sketch in process and then how to proceed with colors from there. All of the tutorials and such talk about putting in your darkest dark first, then your lightest light. I'm not quite there yet, as I am still working on getting the relationships correct within each object. I more or less have value down, but it is taking me a lot longer to develop the correct color and temperature relationships between the planes.

But finally, with this last piece (I think I am on 10 or 12) I finally feel like I am starting to get it. The shadows seem to be working correctly, my saturation seems to be pretty good - overall, I'm pretty happy with how I ended today.

6 More hours down

2 comments:

  1. love these! :) blocks are amaaaazing! :)
    hey are you going to sell artsy stuff like this too? or is this just for yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll sell them eventually... probably start again this fall. In the meantime just trying to learn!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails