Thursday, July 8, 2010

"This is not the end.

It is not even the beginning of the end.  But it is perhaps, the end of the beginning." - Winston Churchill

What do you want?  What makes you truly happy?  What is your purpose?  Are you tired of your cubicle, of your throwaway lifestyle, of owning things that have no meani
ng to you?

Very few people find out what their passion is.  Even fewer will ever pursue it.  One day I went home in tears because I hated my job, and my future husband looked at me and asked me questions similar to the ones above.  What makes me truly happy?  Really?  

If you could do one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Sounds like a silly question from a high school guidance counselor, huh.  Well, I've found my passion, art.  The only thing getting in between me and doing what I love was myself.  Ego, confidence, the fear of failure - these are the things that stood and sometimes
 still stand in my way.  

Well, that and 10,000 hours.  I've made the decision, I've taken the leap.  I have some basic skills with art, but thanks to Malcolm Gladwell and Outliers, I know that the only other thing in between myself and my dreams is practice, lots of practice.  Gladwell's book talks about the theory that the difference between those who are just "good" at something like music, versus those who are "great" and on the professional level, is about 10,000 hours of practice.  The good people probably practiced 2,000-5,000.  The same was true for the Beatles, Bill Gates,
 and some of the best soccer players in the world.  

I want to be a professional.    

This blog is the chronicle of my journey, my quest to be a skilled, successful artist with a strong following.  I hope to show that art is wonderful, art is beautiful, but that it, just like every other skill, takes lots of time, practice and hard work.  Oh, and along the way, you'll get to see all of the awful artwork that I create along the way of making the good and great artwork I eventually want to sell.  

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails