Thursday, March 10, 2011

Singapore Heritage Shophouse No. 19 - DP No. 42

"Singapore Heritage Shophouse No. 19"
6"x6" Oil on Panel
Click Here to Purchase
My husband really loves this shophouse.  I personally, had a really difficult time at first with all the detail.  For the life of me, I couldn't get the moulding on the top to "pop" enough so that you could tell how defined it was.  But then I resolved the issue and moved on.

Last night Norman (our small and un-mighty car) died.  At the gas pump.  We pulled into the gas station, where they always have attendants to pump.  You don't pump the gas, they do.  And they'll clean your windshield and such, which is nice.  So anyways, we turn off the car to pump the gas, then the hubby gets back in the car and tries to turn it on.  Nothing.  We call the rental company (company lease), wait about 20-30 minutes for the guy to come help us.  Not once in that 20-30 minutes did anyone come over and ask why we were loitering in the parking lot, why we hadn't moved, if we needed help with the car. It was kind of the twilight zone.  In the US there would be at least a person or two that would offer to stick their head under the hood and have a look, or give you a jump or something.  But here, nobody even knows how to change a tire (or to be honest, most don't know how to fill a tire), much less jump a battery or check the oil.  Even I know those things.  Thank goodness my parents made me drive a car that was slowly dying when I was a teenager.  I can't imagine knowing absolutely nothing about cars.  But I'm not going to even start in on what terrible drivers are over here. :)  It all turned out okay in the end, apparently Norman goes through batteries on a regular basis.  Nice.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to Fresh Painters. So glad you have joined us. Your work will be a great addition to the site.
    Loved your Norman story. What a wonderful life experience you are having but I bet you get homesick for the not perfect, but pretty great USA. Glad Norman was an easy fix.
    Good luck with this series. So interesting and lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails